Beautifully Broken – Ladies Conference

“Beautifully Broken is focused on  becoming the woman that God has called you to be!”

 Hi, I’m Vonda Easley and I am so excited about the work that God is doing through the Beautifully Broken Conferences. From a lady driving 6 hrs to be with us and during the first  conference, she gave her heart to Christ to many ladies sharing their broken story to help heal their heart and others, God is doing amazing things!
From my brokenness, this ministry evolved. A broken marriage, iovarian cancer, family issues and many other trials in my life have helped me to help others that were facing the same thing.
To God be the Glory for all the things He has done!  I’m excited to meet you at a Beautifully Broken Conference in the future!



Who is Vonda Easley?…….Well I am glad you asked. I’ve been wanting to tell my story. I think it’s interesting and I hope you do to.

My story is about love, hard work, hard times, and a determination to be happy no matter what.

June 30th, 1966, was my day of arrival in this world. My parents, Margaret Ann and Freddie Gene Turner, probably thought they were done raising kids but I guess I showed them.

I am the baby of four children. Momma had already raised one family and then started over again with my brother and I.

We grew up poor, like the song says: “We were poor but we had love and that was one thing my Daddy made sure of.” My Daddy had several different jobs while I was growing up but driving a truck was his favorite. On weekends, all Daddy wanted to do was play music.

Daddy owned and operated a local music hall called The Saturday Night Opry. His group was the house band. They were called the Dixie Ramblers.

I remember being five years old and selling cokes at the concession stand.

I watched my Daddy, Momma, and sisters, Lynda and Judy play and sing. My parents also sang on “The Country Boy Eddie Show” in Birmingham, Alabama. I truly thought they were stars!

Daddy was also known for putting together “pickin’ and grinnin’s” at our home. Momma made coffee and fried pies. I played the spoons. Mostly no one paid attention to me because I was the youngest, but I was paying attention to every detail. My sisters took piano lessons, my brother learned to play guitar, and I just watched.

Daddy’s group was really talented. The pickers were as good as any out there today, but being pushed and promoted was never an option because Daddy didn’t have the money to do that.

I guess you can tell by now as much as I talk about Daddy that I was a Daddy’s girl. He taught me many lessons in life while I was holding the flashlight for him. I wasn’t able to drive until I learned to change a tire and change my oil. I am thankful for those things and I can still do those things for myself today, I just choose not to anymore.

I was a mess growing up. I always got into trouble even when I wasn’t trying. For instance, I remember Momma telling me not to shave my legs until she told me I could. I was a sixth grade cheerleader. We were to perform on the Cerebral Palsy telethon that night. I was gonna be on TV! I just knew that everyone could see those hairs on my legs so I snook and did it anyway.

Needless to say, they noticed the eight bandaids on my legs a lot more than they would have a few blonde hairs.

I went to work when I turned 14. I made $160 per week at a local Dairy Barn Restaurant. I was proud of that. The rich kids borrowed money from me. I learned from my Daddy that it took money to live and hard work never killed anyone.

I made many choices I am not proud of, but I think those choices made me who I am today so I wouldn’t say I regret a thing.

As a young mother, I had ovarian cancer. They found it as soon as my daughter, Ashley, was born. That was a rough time. I went through a painful divorce. I worked a man’s job to feed Ashley and myself. But we made it and we never missed a meal. We did have a can of corn for dinner one night, but thank God for the can of corn. I had too much pride to ask for help. My family would have helped me.

I remarried. In 1990, my son Brad was born. The cancer came back. I lost down to 112 pounds. Looking back, I know God had

a plan for me because He spared my life twice.

As Ashley grew older, we felt the call to start Hope’s Journey. Well actually, I think she felt the call and I felt the want to. Once we began singing, God changed my heart.

One Sunday morning, I was praying that someone would get saved in my church and the Lord said, “It’s you.” I responded to Him and He changed my heart, my life and my desires. I got over in the passenger seat and let Him drive. I had heard folks talk about fully trusting but it wasn’t until then that I truly got it!

Later, I walked in WPIL to bring the DJ a Hope’s Journey cd. They asked me to do a show and here I am today.

I love people. I love to share my story and tell about what God has done for me.

Hope’s Journey is still going strong. We just got a “new-to-us” bus.

It is my prayer for God to use me in whatever avenue He wants. If it’s during a show, singing on stage somewhere, or in the grocery store line, I pray for opportunities to talk about Him.

I am forever grateful for my parents for instilling in me the love of music. Daddy called Momma “Shug.” His last words to me before he passed were “Nobody sings like Shug.” Even when he was sick, he put her first always.

I learned how to love from Daddy and I learned that love never fails.

I had a painting done with that on it. It is hanging on the wall at the station to remind me of my Daddy. We were poor but we had love. That was one thing my Daddy made sure of.